Healthy and Hearty Lentil Lasagna For Vegetarian’s
I made this dish up several years ago when my family and I were testing out different aspects of vegetarianism. I missed having my Italian dishes such as lasagna and so I started experimenting with some of our favorite dishes, and I came up with lentil lasagna. I know that lentil lasagna does not sound very appetizing, but it is actually quite tasteful and packed with protein and fiber.
1-lb lasagna noodles
1-lb bag of lentils
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
3 cups marinara Sauce
8 oz ricotta cheese
½ cup parmesan cheese
1lb mozzarella cheese
sea salt to taste
Marinara Sauce Recipe
3 to 5 lbs firm but ripe Roma tomatoes
6 cloves of garlic
6 or 7 leaves of fresh basil leaves or 2 tsp dried basil
2 lbs of spaghetti or favorite pasta
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1) In a sauce pan lightly brown garlic in ¼ cup olive oil
2) Add chopped tomatoes cook for five minutes
3) Turn down heat to medium low add a lid and let tomatoes simmer for another 5 minutes
4) Add sea salt to taste and basil turn off heat
1. Prepare lentils according to package directions.
2. Prepare noodles according to package directions.
3. Prepare marinara sauce according to recipe above.
4. Grate all cheeses and set aside.
5. Mix 8 oz container of ricotta cheese with the egg and 1-teaspoon basil, set aside.
6. Sauté small onion and garlic in olive oil add to the cooked and drained lentils with 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Now it is time to build the lasagna. It doesn’t really matter in what order you layer the ingredients, but always start with lentils and end the last layer with 1 cup of the marinara sauce and at least half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
Get your biggest baking pan and oil the bottom and sides with olive oil.
Add 1 cup of the marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan, spreading it out evenly. Layer some of the noodles in bottom of pan. Add ½ of the lentils over the noodles, spreading it out evenly. Add ¼ cup each of your three cheeses, and then ½ cup marinara sauce. Continue building layers as long as you have ingredients, ending with sauce and then cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for ½ hour and enjoy. Simply Delicious!
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/288075