Let’s Have a Vegan Taco Party!
We live in a time-sharing, but there are some things that we can all unite around. Tacos are one of those things. Everyone loves tacos and vegan tacos could be so delicious easy to make! Here are some ideas for a menu of tacos build your own!
The main taco has only a few components:
This is really it! Grab your cake selection, and let’s make some vegan tacos, y’all.
Star Your Vegan Tacos
These core components that you build the rest of you vegan tacos around. Beans tend to rule the day, but they should not be a major event in your tacos! Here are some great recipes for vegan taco fillings, some Beany, some do not.
Springtime Spiced Black beans – fragrant black beans are a classic filling tacos and so easy to do! If you do not want to cook from the dry, you can use the same technique, with two 15-ounce cans black beans. Instead simmer for 40 minutes to boil for 10-15 minutes to combine flavors.
Slow Cooker refried Beans – Ginny slow cooker queen, and these beans are just phenomenal. Cook them over the weekend and freeze until you’re ready to make the tacos!
Seitan – Make your own or buy it pre-made. This dough is made from vital wheat gluten, it has a surprisingly meat consistency.
Vegan “Ground Beef” Recipe
by Ecorazzi for Care2
Tofu, peanut butter and spices combine to create the taco-rrific crumbles!
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce (nama shoyu)
- 1 tablespoon of almond or peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- chili powder 1 teaspoon
- 400 grams of extra-firm tofu (14-15 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all the ingredients except the oil and tofu in small bowl. Set aside.
- Take tofu and wrap it in several layers of paper towels and then place it on a plate. Take a pan and press the tofu wrapped until paper towel is not enough to soak in the liquid in Tofu. Unwrap the tofu and crumble it into a medium bowl. Pour soy sauce mixture over the tofu and add up until everything is evenly combined.
Roasted broccoli and potatoes
One of my favorite places for tacos here in the city offers a broccoli or potatoes as the main filling tacos, and they were so good! But why choose one when you can have both? Here is my recipe for roasted potatoes and broccoli , perfect for taco filling. You can use cauliflower instead of broccoli, if it’s more your jam.
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 red potatoes, diced 1/2 “
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each powder Chipotle chilies and turmeric
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix all ingredients together in an oven safe baking dish and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until the potatoes to cook through and brown slightly.
Recipe from Zoe Eisenberg , Care2
On top of this fragrant stuffing with crisp, fresh vegetables and some cream, sliced avocado.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) can water-packed jackfruit, drained and chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild or hot green chilies, drained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons mustard yellow cook
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add jackfruit and chilli and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce, tamari, mustard, paprika, liquid smoke, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until heated through and flavors blend, about 8 minutes. Mix well, adding a little water if the mixture is too dry. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.
- When ready to serve, spoon the mixture on the rolls and serve hot.
More Veggies for Your Vegan Tacos
You can go all out and make some fancy veggie toppings, or keep it simple. Here are some super easy to grind and things ideas. Below the list, you will find several recipes for the more fancy veggie taco fillings.
- shredded lettuce, lettuce or spinach
- pea shoots, sunflower sprouts and alfalfa sprouts
- grated carrots
- chopped onion or green onion
- sliced tomato
- sliced avocado
- shredded cabbage
- black olives
- chopped cucumber
- chopped cilantro
- diced bell peppers (raw or roasted)
- jalapeno – minced, chopped or pickled
Do you want to get fancy? Try one of these delicious fillings!
Chili-Lime Salad Cabbage
Yield: 4.2 portions; Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 packed cups of chopped cabbage
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 chopped green onion
- chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup grated carrots
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, lime juice, green onions, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and olive oil. With clean hands, massage the cabbage until it becomes a beautiful bright green color and begins to weaken.
- Stir in carrots.
Red cabbage, carrots, Cilantro Slaw
Eve Fox, Care2
- 2 cups grated or finely chopped carrot
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage (I used my handy dandy mandolin – makes it a breeze!)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, washed, dried and chopped
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (also known as a rice vinegar – they are the same, but they are not the same as rice wine and mirin, which is really good stuff, but something quite different)
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar, maple syrup or apricot jam, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (you can also use peanut or olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Mix the carrots, cabbage and cilantro in a bowl. Mix together the remaining ingredients and stir to sugar (if you use sugar) to dissolve.
- Mix it all together and stir to combine.
Sauces for your Vegan Tacos
I’m lumping together the sauce and cheese here, because you can use one or both on your vegan tacos. Here are some of my favorites!
Queso Vegan – It blender vegan cheese sauce, which gives you the best of everything: a creamy texture and aromatic goodness salsa.
Salsa – Of course, you can also skip the cream factor and go straight into the fresh salsa goodness. KD Angle-Traegner wrote a great guide to make your own from scratch Salsas !
recipe from glue and glitter , used with permission
Neither is complete without tacos guac, in my estimation. Creating from scratch guac ridiculously easy!
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (you can use dried, but I do not recommend it in this case.)
- Use a fork to mix and mash everything together in a bowl. You can mash a lot for a smoother guac or a little, if you like big chunks of avocado there. You will decide!
- Refrigerate until ready to serve you.
Related to Care2