phentermine (Adipex-P, Lomaira)
What is phentermine?
Phentermine is a drug that suppresses appetite.
What brand names are available for phentermine?
- Brand available in the US for phentermine are Adipex-P and Lomaira.
- Discontinued brands are Fastin, Oby-Trim, Obestin-30, OnaMast, Tora, Obenix, Suprenza, and Wilpo.
Is phentermine available as a generic drug?
Do I need a prescription for phentermine?
Yes. It is a schedule IV controlled substance.
Why is phentermine prescribed to patients?
- Phentermine is combined with diet and exercise for the short-term treatment of obesity in individuals with a body mass index greater than or equal to 30 kg/m2 or greater than or equal to 27 kg/m2 with risk factors for heart disease.
- Phentermine should not be combined with other weight loss agents.
- The combination of phentermine and fenfluramine (FEN-PHEN) is associated with serious heart problems. Fenfluramine is no longer available in the United States.
What are the side effects of phentermine?
Side effects of phentermine include:
- dry mouth,
- an unpleasant taste,
- high blood pressure, and
- fast heart rates (palpitations).
Central nervous system side effects include:
Phentermine, especially when combined with fenfluramine, has been associated with high pressures in the pulmonary arteries (pulmonary hypertension) and defects in heart valves, both serious complications.
Physical and psychological dependence may occur with the long-term use of phentermine. A withdrawal reaction, which includes excessive drowsiness, fatigue, tremors and depression may occur after prolonged use.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 10/28/2016