Turkey and Herb Stuffed Acorn Squash
This cozy dinner for four epitomizes the flavors and feeling of winter.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 acorn squash, halved lengthwise with seeds removed
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 16 oz. baby spinach
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp. thyme, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2+ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and adjust rack to middle position. While it warms, brush the squash lightly with olive oil and dust with nutmeg. Place squash, cut-side up, on a baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Brown the ground turkey. Add the diced onion, garlic, and celery, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Stir in herbs, spices, and raisins. Add spinach and wilt 2-3 minutes. Add in butter or coconut oil and combine over medium heat.
- Spoon filling into acorn squash and roast for 20 minutes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.