Cooler weather is rolling in, but that doesn’t have to mean giving up delicious, good-for-you salads. These warm salads will keep you feeling happy and healthy all winter long.
Vegans don’t always eat salad, but when we do, we want them to be hearty and filling. These warm salads are healthy, winter comfort food. You can serve them as appetizers or dish up generous bowlfuls to make them the main event.
What is a warm salad?
If you’re new to warm salads, the idea might seem gross. Maybe you’re picturing a heaping bowl of slimy, cooked lettuce? But no! Warm salads are actually a taste and texture sensation.
Not everything in your bowl has to be warm. Maybe you start with a base of crisp, mixed salad greens but top them with freshly cooked beans, steamy roasted vegetables, or a warm salad dressing. You can also start with warm greens, though, like wilted kale. Or skip the greens entirely and go with warm grains as the base.
You get the idea: mix cooked ingredients with fresh veggies, toss with a good dressing and you’re in business.
Warm Salads for Winter
1. Warm Kale Salad – Omit the honey or substitute maple syrup or agave nectar for a totally vegan version of this recipe. The avocado and sesame seeds give this winter dish healthy protein and fat to keep you feeling full.
2. Warm Sweet Potato Salad – Pan-fried sweet potato over mixed salad greens with creamy cilantro dressing is a cozy, satisfying warm salad.
3. Spinach Salad with Warm Pecan Dressing – A beautiful mix of seasonal greens, flavorful quinoa and a warm dressing. This is a meal in a bowl!
4. Roasted Ratatouille Salad – Warm, roasted vegetables over butter lettuce are perfect with Dianne’s herb-infused vinaigrette.
5. Quinoa Spinach Salad w/Butternut Squash & Apple – The roasted squash and warm quinoa in this recipe wilt the spinach just a bit, so it’s still a little crunchy.
6. Roasted Sweet Potato and Broccoli Salad – The pumpkin seeds and creamy Cilantro Tahini Dressing make this warm bowl of salad a stick-to-your ribs meal.
7. Pho Fusion Salad – Soup meets salad in one satisfying, healthy bowl.
8. Smoky Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad – Dreena shares lots of fun ways to serve up this warm, seasonal salad recipe.
9. Delicata Squash & Persimmon Salad – This is one of my favorite recipes from Cadry. It’s so simple, delicious and comforting. A perfect fall or winter appetizer or meal!
10. Savoy Cabbage with Oyster Mushrooms – Cool, crispy savoy cabbage is a perfect contrast to deeply seasoned mushrooms, hot off of the stove.
11. Sweet Potato Caesar Salad – Florian gives a traditional Caesar salad a warm, cozy, vegan makeover.
12. Roast Vegetable Quinoa Salad – Who says that a salad needs lettuce? Quinoa is a filling, healthy base for this veggie-packed warm salad.
13. Waikiki Breakfast Salad – Warm, sticky rice and easy poppyseed dressing are the stars of Kristina’s Hawaiian vacation-inspired breakfast salad.
14. Quinoa Salad Bowl with Chilli Spiced Chickpeas, Wilted Kale, Pear, and Garlic Chipotle Mayo – That’s a mouthful! This salad is no appetizer—it’s the main event all the way.
15. Warm Autumn Quinoa Salad – Roasted winter squash and tempeh with warm quinoa over fresh salad greens is a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
16. Quinoa Lentil Salad – What can I say? Quinoa is a popular addition to warm salads. In this satisfying recipe, it teams up with warm lentils and fresh, crisp veggies.
17. Breakfast Kale Salad – Massaged kale is the base for this warm salad recipe, which is basically a deconstructed breakfast sandwich.
18. Autumn Kale Salad with Warm Pumpkin Vinaigrette – Raw fruits and veggies get a warm-up from sweet-and-sour pumpkin vinaigrette.