Watch the video for this recipe:
This is the first time I have ever paired pears with chocolate and I must say that I really loved it and I didn’t expect to be such a pleasant combination. If you like pears and chocolate you should definitely try this dessert. It is very flavorful due to the pears and almonds, and also very moist and rich which makes it simply irresistible.
I’ve used the recipe I’ve made before for the chocolate flourless cake and added some almonds for extra texture and flavor. It is a gluten free, chocolaty dessert perfect for celebrating the arrival of fall.
Prep time 20 mins
Cook time 40 mins
Total time 1 hour + chilling time
- Makes about 10 servings
- 4 eggs, separated
- 7 oz (200g) semisweet chocolate (55-70%)
- 2/3 cup (150g) butter
- 1 tbsp (8g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (100g) ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp (2g) salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) almond extract
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 3 or 4 ripe pears, peeled, halved and cored
- Grease and line a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan (with a removable base) with parchment paper. Separate egg yolks from whites. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Melt chocolate and butter over a bain-marie until smooth. Let it cool slightly. Add yolks one at a time and stir well. Stir in cocoa powder, ground almonds, salt and almond extract.
- Whip egg whites until foamy using a mixer. Gradually add sugar and whip until soft peaks form. Gently fold the whipped whites into chocolate mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Cut pear halves in thin slices leaving one edge uncut.
- Place the sliced pear halves on top of the batter and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Let it cool completely and refrigerate to set for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving ( 136g) – Calories:359, Fat:24.8g, Saturated Fat:12.2g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0g, Carbohydrates: 34.6g, Sugar:27.5g, Fiber:4.5g, Protein:5.5g, Cholesterol:98mg, Calories from Fat 223, Sodium 172mg, Potassium 251mg, Vitamin A 10% , Vitamin C 5%, Calcium 5%, Iron 8%, Nutrition Grade D, daily percent values are used on a 2000 calorie diet