Autumn is by far my favorite season, for me there are no days so pleasing to the eye as the sunny ones from October, filled with great colors of yellow, bronze, green and red.
This leaves decorated Apple Pie is a great way to celebrate the year’s most colorful season. It is a comforting pie, with a buttery flaky crust filled with sweet, cinnamon flavored and tender apples, a memorable dessert to enjoy with your loved ones.
The recipe is quite similar to the berry pie, but decorated differently and used different spices for the filling. It is best served slightly warm with a big scoop of ice cream on top.
25 mins + chilling time
Cook time 45 mins
Total time 1 hr 10 mins + chilling time
- Makes about 6-8 servings
- Pastry Dough
- 2 1/2 cups (320g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp ice cold water
- Apple Filling
- 26oz (750g) apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (30g) cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp (2g) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1g) nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- Zest from a lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp (5g) sugar
- In a medium bowl whisk flour with sugar and salt. Incorporate butter using a pastry blender, a fork or a pastry processor, until crumbs are formed. Add egg and water and stir until incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the filling. In a small bowl combine sugar with cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest.
- Place the apple slices into a large bowl, add the sugar mixture and lemon juice and toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Prepare a 8 or 9 inch (20-23cm) pie pan.
- Into a lightly floured surface roll first piece of dough until it’s about 12in (30cm) in diameter.
- Line the pan with the rolled dough and press the edges.Cut the excess dough.
- Arrange the apple mixture over the crust. Refrigerate until you roll the other disc of dough.
- Roll the other piece of dough and place over the apples.
- Press the edges and cut off the excess.
- Use the leftover dough, roll it and cut leaves using a knife.
- Brush the pastry with some of the beaten egg and decorate the pie with the dough leaves.
- Brush the leaves with beaten egg and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Add a pie crust shield or aluminum foil on top of the pie, reduce oven temperature to 350F (180C) and bake for another 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the tart cool down for about 3 hours. Serve with ice cream.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving ( 157g) – Calories:495, Fat:24.6g, Saturated Fat:14.9g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0g, Carbohydrates:65.3g, Sugar:27.9g, Fiber:3.9g, Protein:6.0g, Cholesterol:102mg, Calories from Fat 222, Sodium 472mg, Potassium 187mg, Vitamin A 15%, Vitamin C 16%, Calcium 2%, Iron 14%, Nutrition Grade C+, daily percent values are based on a 2000 calorie diet