- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 6 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (from 2 medium potatoes)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over high heat. Add onion; sauté until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in oregano and garlic; sauté for
2. minutes. 2 Whisk together flour and ¼ cup of the broth. Add flour mixture, sweet potatoes, chipotle, adobo, orange zest, salt, cinnamon and remaining 5¾ cups broth to onion mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sweet potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool for 10 minutes.
3. Transfer mixture, in batches, to a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid to allow steam to escape; secure lid. Place a clean towel over lid opening to avoid splatters. Blend until smooth. Return to pot.
4. Whisk together crème fraîche and water. Add additional water, if necessary, until mixture is thin enough to drizzle. Ladle soup into bowls; drizzle soup with crème fraîche mixture and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.