If you enjoy oranges this French recipe of Crepes Suzette is definitely a must try. A flavorful sauce made with oranges, caramelized sugar and butter is prepared to warm the crepes in and then orange liqueur like Grand Marnier or Cointreau is added on top, flambé to evaporate the alcohol and create an amazing effect.
It is a great dessert you can prepare anytime you need to impress your guests. You can prepare the crepes even with one day in advance to save some time.
Cook time 30 mins
Total time 40 mins
- Makes about 4-6 servings
- For 8-12 crepes
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 3/4 cup (220g) all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp (40g) oil
- 1 cup (240ml) sparkling mineral water
- Orange Sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) fresh orange juice
- Zest of an orange
- 1/4 cup (60ml) juice of a lemon
- 1/2 cup (113g) butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup (66 ml) Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- Prepare the crepes following the instructions here. Fold crepes into quarters.
- Prepare the orange sauce. Place the sugar in a small saucepan over low-medium heat until golden and caramelized.
- Add orange juice, lemon juice and orange zest. The caramel will harden so you need to re-melt the caramel into the liquid.
- Add butter, bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Set aside until ready to use.
- When you want to prepare the crepes Suzette pour a small quantity of orange sauce in a skillet.
- Arrange crepes in a circular pattern, slightly overlapping, in a skillet. Pour orange sauce on top and place over low-medium heat to let the crepes warm through for about 5 minutes.
- Pour warmed liqueur on top and using a torch touch the surface with the flame to flambé.
- Decorate the crepes with orange peel and serve crepes warm with orange sauce on top.
Nutrition facts 1 Serving (236 g) – Calories:482, Fat:24.9g, Saturated Fat:11.7g, Unsaturated Fat:0.0g, Carbohydrates:49.6g, Sugar:29.8g, Fiber:1.1g, Protein:7.5g, Cholesterol:98mg, Calories from Fat 224, Sodium 1119mg,Potassium 184mg, Vitamin A 11%, Vitamin C 66%, Calcium 7%, Iron 14%, Nutrition Grade D+, daily percent values are based on a 2000 calorie die