Approximately 1/2 cup neutral-tasting oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium white onion, peeled and chopped
3 cups vegan chicken (we used Before the Butcher shredded “chicken”)
12 yellow corn tortillas
2 cans green enchilada sauce
1 cup crumbled vegan cheese (we used Daiya Jalapeño Havarti Style Block)
1/2 cup vegan sour cream (we used Tofutti)
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoonful of the oil. Add the garlic and onion and sauté until translucent. Add the vegan chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoonful of the oil. Place a tortilla in the center and cook for about 10 seconds on each side, or until soft, then set aside on a paper towel. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, adding more oil as necessary.
- Shred or chop the cooled vegan chicken into small pieces.
- Coat the bottom of a baking pan with a shallow layer of the enchilada sauce.
- Add a teaspoonful of the enchilada sauce, a small handful of the vegan chicken, and a sprinkling of the crumbled vegan cheese to each tortilla, reserving a handful of the vegan cheese. Roll tightly and line up in the baking pan.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolled tortillas, covering the edges. Sprinkle with the remaining crumbled vegan cheese.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the vegan cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Top with several dollops of the vegan sour cream and sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve immediately.
Makes 12 enchiladas