1. For the base: blend together the oats, shredded coconut, buckwheat (or mixed seeds) ,1/2 tsp of the salt and 3-4 soaked medjool dates until the dough comes together.
2. Press the base in to a square bread tin lined with baking paper.
3. For the Crunchy peanut butter filling: blend together 4-5 medjool dates soaked in water for 30 minutes, add the peanut butter ,1/2 tsp salt and a splash of vanilla essence.
4. Fold in the peanuts in to the raw date filling and then mix well, scoop onto the base.
5. Smear flat with a tbs until nice and smooth, place in the fridge to set while melting the chocolate.
6. Melt 1/2 cup vegan chocolate or dark chocolate for the top. ( I added 1 tbsp coconut oil to make the chocolate smooth out easier.) Or make your own chocolate by melting the coconut oil, add the maple syrup or agave, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
7. Pour onto the filling, smooth out with the back of spoon or a butter knife, sprinkle over the cocoa nibs or salt flakes and place back into the fridge until set and then slice with a very sharp knife.
8. Keep in the fridge for up to one week.
•To make the bars more carb friendly, substitute the oats with coconut flour.
•Almond butter and roasted almonds can be subbed for the peanuts if your are allergic to peanuts.
Recipe shared with permission from Mariza – Life in the South blog. Dishes that are a mixture of cultural influences and that have been tweaked especially for the Chef at home.
Find her on Instagram for more vegan comfort food recipe ideas.
ALSO TRY: Date and nut truffles