Bust out your air fryer, because I’m going to show you how to make kale chips in the air fryer. It takes under 10 minutes, and could not be easier!
If you’ve never heard of an air fryer before, it’s basically a small, powerful convection oven. It cooks food in about half the time that a regular oven takes. With kale chips, it’s even less than half. These crispy kale chips only need five minutes in the air fryer, no preheating needed! In the regular oven, they take 25 minutes, plus preheating time.
Air Fryer Kale Chip Variations
The recipe in the video sort of a basic demonstration of how to make kale chips in the air fryer, but there are lots of fun ways to mix this up! Here are some variations to try:
- Toss in a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast before frying. This is my son’s and my current favorite.
- Try making ranch kale chips! You only need a few ingredients to make homemade ranch seasoning.
- Add a sprinkle of garlic powder or onion powder (or both!) before frying.
- Sprinkle on some curry powder or cayenne pepper for spicy kale chips.
Really, the only limit is your imagination, so have fun with this!
Serves about 3/4 cups
How to Make Kale Chips in the Air Fryer
3 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
8 minTotal Time
- 4 cups chopped kale, ribs removed*
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, toss together the kale, oil, and salt, then transfer to your air fryer.
- Air fry (do not preheat) at 370F for 4-5 minutes, shaking after 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.
*Removing the ribs is very important. Since they’re so much thicker than the leaves, they take longer to cook and won’t get crispy.