This Lemon and Poppy Seed Pound Cake is a nice cake, moist and lemon, perfect for breakfast or coffee / tea.
While still warm pound cake brushed with a sweet lemon syrup, which brings more moisture and flavor to it. In addition, poppy seeds bring amazing crispy and flavorful texture as well. Sweet and tart in this recipe is very well balanced, not too sweet, not tart to either.
The recipe is simple and quick and always with excellent results. You can also use the batter to make lemon and poppy seed muffins. If you like poppy seeds and lemon desserts this one is for you.
Prep time 15 minutes
cooking time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Makes about 12 servings
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon (2 g) of the salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (6g) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.5 grams) baking soda
- 3 tablespoons (30 grams) of poppy seeds
- lemon zest of 2 lemons
- 1/3 cup (75g) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (70g) butter
- 1/2 cup (120g) buttermilk
- lemon glaze
- 4 tablespoons (60 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (50 g), sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and dust with flour from 9x5in (23x13cm) loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour with salt, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest and poppy seeds. set aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, mix butter with sugar until blended. Turn the eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla extract and the oil.
- Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for about 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Prepare a lemon glaze . In a small saucepan add sugar and lemon juice. Heat over low-medium heat, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Use a skewer to poke pound cake over the top and brush a lemon glaze over warm cake.
- Let it cool completely before serving.
Nutrients 1 portion (77G) – Calories: 260, Fat: 13.3g, Saturated Fat: 4.6 g Unsaturated fats: 0.0g, Carbohydrate: 32.2g, sugar: 17.8g, Fiber: 0.8g, Protein: 4.1g cholesterol: 55 mg calories from fat 120, 143 mg, potassium 138 mg, vitamin a 4% vitamin with 5%, 8% Calcium, Iron 7% power rating is D, daily values of interest based on a 2,000 calorie diet.