- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup salsa, optional
1. In a saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add quinoa, garlic, and salt. Simmer, covered (10 minutes). Uncover and cook 2 minutes longer until dry. Transfer to large bowl; cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°.
3. Stir egg whites, Parmesan, basil, and pepper into quinoa.
4. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Using 1/4-cup measure, make 4 quinoa pancakes; flatten. Cook until golden (2 minutes per side). Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and quinoa.
5. Bake pancakes 5 minutes until heated through. Serve on spinach, with salsa if desired.