Red Chili With Beef, Queso Fresco, and Lime Crema
- 1 15-oz. can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup frozen organic corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 pounds beef brisket, trimmed and cut into 1-in. cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1. Combine tomatoes, corn, bell peppers, and garlic in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir together flour, ancho chile powder, cumin, and salt in a medium bowl. Add brisket cubes to flour mixture; toss to coat.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the seasoned brisket cubes and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and repeat process with remaining half of the seasoned brisket cubes. Pour brother into slow cooker.
3. Cover slow cooker and cook on low until meat is mostly tender, about 6 hours. Uncover and cook on low until chili has thickened and meat is fully tender, about 1 hour.
4. Stir together sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice in a small bowl. Top chili with queso fresco and serve with lime crema.