Strawberry Crumble Bars are the perfect treat for spring and summer, with a buttery crust, soft strawberry filling inside and a crunchy crumble on top. These bars are a great way to make a quick and easy strawberry dessert that everybody will enjoy.
I used oats in the crust and crumble on top, for a healthier snack, but if for some reason you want to leave them out simply replace the amount of oats with flour.
These bars can be served chilled or warm with a big scoop of ice cream if desired.You can change to various fruits during the summer time, like cherries, any type of berries and recreate this amazing dessert with various flavors. Enjoy!!
- Makes about 9 servings
- 3/4 cup (95) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2g) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1g) salt
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp (5g) vanilla extract
- Strawberry Filling
- 10 oz (300g) fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp (30g) sugar
- 1 tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- Zest from a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Slightly grease a 8×8 inch (20x20cm) square pan and line with parchment paper, in such a way that some edges are longer to make it easy to lift it up once it’s set.
- In a bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add butter and vanilla and stir until combined and crumbly. Set aside about 1 cup.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Cut strawberries in small pieces and place into a bowl. Add sugar, lemon zest and cornstarch and toss to coat. Spread the strawberries over the crust.
- Sprinkle the reserved cup of crumb mixture over the strawberries.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.