The Ultimate Unbaked Brownies
- 2 1/2 cups cups loosely packed pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
1. Combine dates, walnuts, 6 Tbsp. cacao powder, 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 2 tsp. water and salt in a food processor. Process until completely smooth.
2. Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking dish, or line dish with parchment or waxed paper. Transfer dough to dish. Press dough very firmly into dish with your hands until dough is evenly distributed.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup cacao powder, remaining 1/2 tsp. vanilla, maple syrup and oil. Stir until mixture forms a paste (this is the frosting). Spread paste evenly over dough in baking dish. Refrigerate brownies for at least 2 hours to set, then cut into squares. Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container for up to 2 weeks, or freeze for up to 2 months.
2 hours chill time
2 hours 15 minutes
|Calories per serving:||207|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0mg|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||29g|
|Sodium per serving:||63mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Calcium per serving:||39mg|
Good to Know
Use Grade B (or Grade A, Dark Color, Robust Flavor) maple syrup for this recipe. It’s darker and more flavorful than most Grade A types (the quality is the same).